Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao Tuesday called for all-out efforts to combat floods and save lives after a dike collapsed in heavy rain in east China's Jiangxi Province.
Hu and Wen stressed that ensuring people's safety was top priority and called on rescuers to work hard to control the flooding, said a statement from Jiangxi Provincial Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters.
Hu also ordered 800 soldiers from the Nanjing Military Zone to help with the rescue work in Fuzhou City of Jiangxi, where the Fuhe River burst its bank Monday evening, it said.
The dike at the Changkai section of the Fuhe River burst at 6:30 p.m.Monday and threatened the safety of about 80,000 residents in Fuzhou. The opening in the dike expanded to 400 meters at around 7 a.m. Tuesday.
More than 68,000 people had been relocated to safety by Tuesday morning, the headquarters said. No casualties had been reported in the city so far.【1】 【2】 【3】 【4】 【5】 http://paper.people.com.cn/rmrb/html/2010-06/23/nw.D110000renmrb_20100623_1-01.htm?div=-1